President Obama gave his State of the Union address last night, and he took the opportunity to correct some of the labels being thrown on his administration by the Donald and others.
I watched the President and I saw a man who projected, “thank God this is the last time I’m going to have to do this”. Not in a rancorous way mind you. It was more the look of a fellow who is at the twenty five mile mark of a marathon and can see the finish line ahead of him. It’s more a look of, “I’m going to make it, it’s been real shaky at times, but I actually think I’m going to finish this thing, whole, and in good health”.
As I watched, and perceived the President’s relief that he would be passing the baton on soon, I flashed on the idea of how the first black President would serve as an ex-President. I’m guessing he won’t retire to Chicago to paint self portraits.
Speaking of the idiot Bush, George W., of course, I thought it would be worthwhile to do some comparisons between President Obama and the former standard of the Republican party. I say standard because what the current Republican party requires is a figurehead to do the bidding of the 1%. Someone without conscious, or a backbone. Preferably a member of the 1%, like the Donald would do just fine.
A Google search of the phrase “Obama accomplishments” reveals several lists comprising one hundred and eleven entries. These people are clearly more diligent than I am. I’d just like to preface my list by saying that whatever list of accomplishments that you use, that you weigh those accomplishments in the background of a Congress and Supreme Court that could barely keep from using the “N” word when referencing the President. It has not been easy for the President to do the job we hired him to do. With that said, here’s my list.
1. Saved our economy, and the world’s from a complete and utter meltdown. We were screwed folks, the banks stole everything that wasn’t nailed down, and the Bush administration allowed them to give themselves a raise. Obama and his policies brought us back from the brink. Hopefully, the legislation passed to keep us from the brink will not be rolled back by future Presidents.
2. Passed universal healthcare, enabling over sixteen million people to get health care, and to maintain that care even if they got sick. The Republicans want to repeal “Obamacare” and replace it with their own plan, “get sick, go broke and die”. So far, they’ve been unsuccessful in their attempt in returning the U.S. to third world status.
3. Ended the war in Iraq, and has made inroads in troop reductions around the globe. His statement that the U.S. could not be the world’s policeman did not play well to the Joint Chiefs sitting in the audience at the State of The Union. They looked like Mt. Rushmore. No war, no glory, I guess.
4. Resumed relations with Cuba, and took a decades old piece of bad policy and called it out for what it was, spiteful. I mean,when you’re punishing the great great grandchildren of folks, it’s gone on long enough, right?
5. Green house gasses and the environment, have been addressed by a President willing to work with other world leaders to bring about a safe environment for ourselves and our children. The science deniers have been shown to the back of the bus, for now.
Well, that’s just five off of the top of my head. I guess I could go on for days, but I won’t. Let’s just say that I think President Obama will be viewed very well by history, particularly with a look at the lack of cooperation he received.
The State of The Union is stronger than it ever has been, thank you President Obama.